Saturday, November 25, 2006

Ready for a Refill?

Are you ever surprised by your own stupidity? Do you ever forget who you really are? Well, at times I do, and today was a perfect example. Just before noon I decided to stop by good ol' Jack in the Box to get the best hamburger $.99 can buy. Where else can you get a full size burger with lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions and all for $.99? No Where! Anyway.....

As I sat at the table going over some paperwork a young Hispanic couple came in with their young daughter. I took notice because 1.) Their daughter was loud, 2.) They didn't speak a lick of English, 3.) I had been listening to talk radio in the car and immigration was the issue. I have to admit that I was a little irritated by their presence. Why? Because sometimes I'm surprised by my stupidity!

After they had ordered their food they sat down at the table to eat. Their daughter was screaming something in Spanish, and I couldn't concentrate. To make matters worse, their daughter spilled her bladder buster sized drink all over the table, chairs, and floor causing a huge scene. Her dad simply reached out and tosseled her hair as if to say, "It happens baby girl, no tears." Of course I missed that gentle gesture until much later. Why? Because sometimes I'm surprised by stupidity!

The clean-up and subsequent conversation was all in Spanish, and my mind kept wandering to talk radio as I pondered how much it was costing me in tax dollars to fund their little lunch. Why, because sometimes I'm surprised by my stupidity.

After the floor and table had been cleaned by mom with countless napkins, dad got up to refill her cup. As he headed for the pop machine I started to think, "That bum isn't even going to pay the refill charge." "Isn't it bad enough I have to pay for his lunch; now he's going to leach off good ol' Jack?" As he got closer I noticed that no one was looking and that he might just get away with it. I was furious! In my minds eye I was sprinting across the isle and tackling him before he could refill his Coke. Why? Because sometimes I'm surprised by my own stupidity!
Just as he was about to reach the pop machine I noticed him reaching into his pocket. A GUN? A KNIFE? A POCKET BOMB? ....................Who knows with these filthy illegal, they're capable of anything! Right?

Just then he reached into his pocket and pulled out some change. Carefully counting it out he waited quietly at the counter for several minute before someone noticed he was there. He couldn't speak English, so he handed the cashier the change, held up his cup, and pointed to the pop machine. The cashier waived off the change and motioned for the man to simply go ahead and fill his cup. As she turned away the young father look at the change in his hand and gently placed it on the counter next to the register before turning to fill the cup.

I was moved. I was angry with myself. I wanted to run across the room and hug the man, to shake his hand. I can't remember the last time I saw such integrity and gentleness. At that moment I was overcome with just how stupid I can be, and once again I heard the gentle voice of God whisper in my ear, "how about you son, ready for a refill?"

Just for the record, I would have refilled without paying. Why? Well, you know....

No comments: