Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Beauty and the Geek

I’m about to admit something I’m not proud of. You ready for this? Okay, here you go; I am officially of a fan of Aston Kutchers show “Beauty and the Geek.” There, I said it; I’m out of the closet!!!

If you haven’t seen the show, try to catch an episode sometime. It’s a reality show that has focuses on 16 people living in a house. Eight of the people are beautiful women; the other eight are academically inclined men. Okay, honestly they’re the absolute perfect pictures of geeks. These guys are so far gone it’s not even funny! The show forces them into situations in which they have to challenge the boundaries of their comfort zones. The geeks are faced with social issues, and the women with academic. It’s really quite entertaining.

I mention the show because the other day they showed a re-run of the final episode from last season. The final two couples where interviewed and given the opportunity to share what they had learned. Every one of them said the same thing in one form or the other. The common thought was that we can learn something about ourselves from anyone. For some reason this has stuck in my head this past week and I’ve been thinking it through a bit.

I’m a firm believer in the fact that God has purposely created each of us unique. We’re like living works of art, and although some of us look similar, much like a painting, we hold our own unique qualities that set us a part from everyone else. Billions and billions of unique paintings living life every day knowingly and unknowingly affecting each others. Each of us has had different experiences that have shaped us into beautiful expressions of God’s creativity. It’s a beautiful thing.

What if we were to start living life with this perspective? What if we actually believed there was something beautiful and meaningful about every single person we come in contact with? As I read scripture I can’t help but notice that Jesus seemed to have this perspective on people. Aside from his obvious distain for the religious legalists, Jesus truly enjoyed the presence of people.

I wonder how I would treat people if I believed they were a beautiful work of art that held information I knew could be important for my life. Better yet, what if I believed it was important to God that I treated people this way? What if I saw a piece of God in everyone? I bet my perspective on people would be completely changed.

What about you? Do you see the beauty in people?

5 comments:

ChriS & Yvette Ferguson said...

Josh...I don't know if the board can reconcile your television choices with our doctrinal standards. We got grace for cigars, an occassional beer (as long as it ain't cheap hopps), even colorful metaphors, but B & G reality show! Somethings should never see the light of day! I'll be consulting with Pastor Rick to see if Celebrate Recovery can add a track for you!


For the record...UR B E A U T ful!

ChriS & Yvette Ferguson said...

Bishop's blog link doesn't work and I can't seem to find it from blogspot. Whassup? I guess I ain't a geek?

ChriS & Yvette Ferguson said...

Bishop's blog link doesn't work and I can't seem to find it from blogspot. Whassup? I guess I ain't a geek?

Rachel said...

Hello Josh. My friend Mark Alvis linked to your blog recently to have me read your series on Chrisianity vs. Christian Spirituality. I found it very interesting and I agree with a lot of what you said (with a few questions here and there.)

But...I really wanted to respond to this post first because it really reverberates with my frame of mind. I've taken up photography as of late and it has totally changed the way I see things. God's paradigm is that we're in His image, fearfully and wonderfully made.

I was sitting at an airport in Memphis a few weeks ago and watching the variety of people coming in and out of the cafe I was in. It was breath-taking at the beauty I saw. Variety is so powerful. I constantly harp on taking advantage of communal living (I'm a senior in college) and the great diversity of the student body at my school. I don't know what I'll do with myself when I have to move out on my own.

Anyhow. Yes. I see beauty in people, or at least I make an effort to find something beautiful about each one I meet. It's quite the journey.

Thank you for your words, Josh. I enjoy reading your blog. Maybe I'll e-mail you sometime to discuss more about your series. :)

*Rachel

Rachel said...

Josh...I don't mind at all if you link to me. Thank you for the kind words. I'll e-mail you soon with my questions.