Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Today I write all of you from the airport somewhere near Saint Paul, Minn. It’s been a crazy week. I got home from a three day engagement Saturday night and had just enough time to kiss my wife, get in a fight with her, make up, get some sleep and stop by the office. I flew out early this morning (Monday). I’m on my way to meet with a group of church planters from around the country who are affiliated with the Conservative Baptist Association. We’re meeting at a conference in Orlando. Tough life I know. You may be wondering why I would have anything to do with an association/denomination of churches, since I generally want nothing to do with them, but this situation is a little different.

My dad is the director of church planting for the Rocky Mountain Conservative Baptist Association, based out of Denver Colorado. Although my dad and I are separated by at least one cultural generation, we have some similar views on the role of the church, as well as, similar views on what we believe the direction of the church needs to be in the years to come. My dad has asked me to come to this conference to be a part of a conversation with his church planters about new forms of church planting. I must admit, I’m excited to spend some time around other men who share my passion. Most of these guys have some pretty old school views of the church and I’m there to provide a little bit of shock value.

However, sometimes I feel like an attraction at a circus freak show. You know the bearded lady, the bendable man, the giant, the dwarf, and the progressive church planter. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a sought after speaker like some of my peers, I only get 8 or 10 opportunities each year. But, when I get asked to speaking engagements I’m expected to shock people. I’m afraid my ideals have created a bit of a monster.


Today I’m asking the question; is there value in “shock value?”

2 comments:

James said...

...the bearded lady, the bendable man, the giant, the dwarf, and the progressive church planter...

Question you have to ask yourself is "which one are you?"

Shock value for the sake of shock only? I say No, there's no value in that. The world isn't shocking enough as it is? It's possible to have controversial ideas for the sake of something good but rarely is is good to have them for the sake of being "controversial". We call these people politicians.

To put it a different way. You'll be seen in the same light as they if your reaction to everything is grand for the shock value. (look at the backlash Al Sharpton is getting to his constant reaction to everything vs. how history remembers Martin Luther King Jr.) A good message has elements of different communication styles, even if some are more dull then others.

The good news is there's hope for you yet man. The bearded lady can choose to be a circus act or a salesperson for electrolysis services.

ChriS & Yvette Ferguson said...

Brother,

You have so much more to give then simply "shock value." In fact sometimes its easier for you to hide your own insecurity under the shock value "identity."

You are not being asked to speak into these "Church Planters" because your Dad wants you too; but because your Heavenly Father has placed a message within you. Paul's critics accused him of being a poor speaker and a "funny little man." (my poor paraphrase)...brother your humble lunch bucket is what he wants to turn into a feast for these guys.

In fact, you might even find that "Shock Value" is really "King Saul's Armor" and it isn't necessarily you. Slay some giants, give some church planters a few things to chew on...inspire them.

Yes, you might shock a few...but let them be shocked by your heart! The package might be different but your a "Man after God's Own Heart." A lover of Jesus and a lover of people.

Keep us posted.